Website – Courses
The courses page pretty much followed the design layout. The only major change was the placement and size of the iframe containing the UCAS link.
Basically what is happening on this page is that a FORM is being used to house all the options for a UCAS search. The ACTION when the user hits the search buttons is that the form is sent to the UCAS website and the search results are then displayed in the iframe. This was tricky.
I used UCAS as it is the largest database in the UK for colleges and Universities and visited their search page. I looked into how forms worked and found that every site has a command in the script that sends the queries on the form to a database that pulls the info and displays it. The idea was to break apart UCAS’s own searches and find their code. After much digging and testing I found this
This is the submit action. By naming all my elements like the ones used by UCAS in my forms and including that script i could link my form to their database. This was great but had a cost. The code is only a temp one and every time you do a search a new one is generated. Because of this the code as a limited time span but this was no problem as all I had to do was plug in the new code for the show….then tonight they changed their ENTIRE site…..my action command no longer exists and I have no idea how the new one works. This is a pain but not a huge pain I guess. Or maybe I’m just in shock. As you can see from the screengrab today it worked but now its a bum code. Shall have to get my thinking cap on.
Stay tuned on this one.